Dear Friends and kababayans,
Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving Holidays.
We had an opportunity to watch the CNN Heroes after Thanksgiving dinner and we’re deeply moved as we watched and listened to the top 10 CNN 2009 Heroes of the Year. Each and every contestant had beautiful stories to share and they’ve changed so many lives in their community. However, Efren Penaflorida the pushcart educator was named the 2009 CNN Hero of the Year. We’re so proud of him for making a difference to the lives of so many children back home in the Philippines. His messages to the children and to everyone were so inspirational. If you haven’t heard his speech, please click this website http://edition.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/11/16/cnnheroes.tribute.show/index.html.
Last Sunday, we had another opportunity to serve at the Faith Café. That was the last Sunday for our community to serve for 2009 and since it was the last week of the month, guess what?! The place was fully packed. Additional table and chairs were setup to accommodate everyone. Several St. Clare parishioners along with their teens came to help cooked, setup, served the food and cleaned up the place. We served Rigatoni Dinner with rolls, salad and fresh fruits on the side. I’ve seen large number of volunteers in the past, and thus far that was the biggest. I’m grateful to Pia de Leon for inviting and recruiting new volunteers in her parish. As for the new 2010 Faith Café Schedule, please click this link http://filcomevents.blogspot.com/2009/11/faith-cafe-2010-schedule.html,
To help get into the spirit of Advent Fr. Dave Gutmann will be leading a retreat on Wednesday, December 2, from 9:00-2:00 at Our Lady Of Peace Retreat House, here in Beaverton (170th and T.V. Highway). The theme: “The Days Are Coming! But, Do Not Be Afraid”. For more information click http://filcomevents.blogspot.com/2009/11/merry-christmas-from-our-lady-of-peace.html or call the retreat house at 649-7127.
CALLING ALL HOLIDAY SHOPPERS
Mark your calendar for the Holy Trinity Holiday Bazaar on Saturday, December 5th from 9:00am-3:00pm. Twenty-nine tables of unique, beautiful and fun gift ideas. Joy Luebke one of the HT Filipino parishioners will be selling her pastries and delicacies. For directions, please click http://www.h-t.org/direction.htm.
There are 3 more days of Singing Christmas Trees performances, Dec 3, 4, and 5. To obtain information and tickets, click this website: http://www.singingchristmastree.org/dates_and_times.html. Also, don’t forget the Christmas Festival of Lights at The Grotto. Friday, November 27th through Wednesday, December 30th. For more information, please click this website, http://www.thegrotto.org/index.php/christmas.
Remember to attend the following events, more info from our website http://filcomevents.blogspot.com.
1. Sunday, Dec. 6, 2009 - 5:00 PM - Pasko Na Naman / Fil - Am Clark County
2. Saturday, December 12, 2009 – 4:30 PM - FilAm Friendship Club Christmas Party
3. The Seminarians Christmas Concert on Saturday, December 12th, at 7:30 PM
4. Simbang Gabi on Tuesday, December 15th through Wednesday, December 23rd, at 7:00PM at Holy Trinity Parish, 7:30 PM at St. Therese Parish and for Fr. Henry Rupo’s schedule at the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Rainier, Oregon click this link http://filcomevents.blogspot.com/2009/11/christmas-novena-masses-in-rainier.html.
5. Saturday, January 16, 2009 -11:00 Am – Feast of Santo Nino de Cebu @ Mt. Angel Seminary. The remaining time for the Sinulog Dance practices will be on Sundays, January 3rd and 10th, from 4:15 PM to 6:00PM, at Holy Trinity Catholic Church. All are welcome. Come and join us. For directions, click http://www.h-t.org/direction.htm
Lastly, if you want to read and signed the online petition:"Strike against Impunity, Strike for Peace and Democracy" hosted on the web please click this website: http://filcomevents.blogspot.com/2009/12/online-petition-on-maguindanao-massacre.html.
We are wondering if we have a Mindanao group in our community, both Muslims and non-Muslims. A request has been received to find a place for a student from Mindanao who wants to attend classes at the Beaverton High School. If you know such group and have contact information, please let us know.
Thank you for your continued support to our community events.